Monday, June 8, 2009

Sisters, Friends and Other Adversaries




My sister, Lizzy, is my best friend. Sure, I have three other best friends, but Lizzy's been around the longest, in other words, her whole life. And we share DNA.
What is it about sisters that transfers to girlfriends? We share our secrets. We worry that the other might blabber our secrets to someone else.
We might or might not have similar taste in men. Sometimes there is rivalry. Ocassionally, we even fight over a guy. Eventually we realize that guys come and go but girlfriends and sisters are forever.
Last night one of my non-blood best friends went with me to a women only event to bid farewell to a girlfriend who is making aliyah to Israel. Each was lovely in her own way. Was there some jealousy? I don't know. I only know that when they asked me to sing and play my guitar, hardly anyone was listening. They were blabbering to each other, obliging me to force the volume of my voice until my friend, Joy, said, Don't do it. Just sing to me and I'll play percussion. That worked.
What is it about sisters? She knows me better than anyone else. We actually have a half-sister in Israel who was never part of our life. She's 19 years younger than I. We share the same father. Her mother was Jewish, but not at all observant. She became an orthodox Chassidic Jewess about 20 years ago. She's just as nutty as we are. It must be in the genes. Even her kids are musical. Go figure.
What is it about sisters? I cannot imagine the world without her even when I'm livid with her for her criticism and lack of patience with me at times. She lives a thirteen hour drive away. She rarely comes to L.A. because she has a husband, two teenage kids and a job as a teacher. But I know I can rely on her it I'm freaking out, she'll do what she can, whether it's a listening ear, encouragement, time, money, scolding my own grown kids for their disrespect of me.
It's really true; I cannot imagine the world without her. And she knows I've got her back too.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: