Monday, September 7, 2009

Rising to Overcome Our "Short-comings."






I am on my way to meet a perfect stranger at his private retreat. I drive through the lush wetlands on the edge of San Pablo Bay, through beautiful rolling hills and past golden green vineyards.




I turn onto a narrow road and begin to climb, past more vineyards and large estates behind security gates. The sun has passed its apex and is beginning its descent. The hot August air is starting to cool.




Through a cattle gate onto a private road and skirting a small lake, I finally arrive at his securty gate and punch in the entry code he e-mailed me.




This is a magical place, a hidden valley in the hills above Napa.




He bought the rundown, almost dead vineyard five years ago.




He glows as he expounds on all the improvements he has made in his vineyard. He explains how he uses Israeli farming techniques and fawns over his automatic liquid fertilizer delivery system and solar panels, the first and only ones in his secret valley.




He has made a beautiful life for himself.




He was born completely deaf. I salute him for overcoming his lack of hearing. He pays attention, reads lips, speaks quite clearly and communicates more than competently. I salute him. He is educated, a semi-retired architect, well-travelled and well read.



I must also credit his parents for hiring the speech therapist who tailed him for 24 years, as annoying as that must have been!



I salute him for his courage to live an amazing, adventurous life, to marry, have children and indulge his grandchildren.




It is fascinating to me how almost every person I know has or has had tremendous challenges in life.




I pat myself on the back as well for overcoming my disabilities, which may not be as apparent as his, but have caused me great consternation, misunderstandings and detours in my life.



We are here to learn and grow, to perfect our souls, to repair and transform the damage from our past lives.




And, most importantly, we are here to be a blessing to the people with which G-d has graced our lives.


This is a major theme in Judaism, my religion: TIKKUN, repairing the world, recreating our lives, contributing goodness to the people around us and to those less fortunate than we.


IT IS SO VERY IMPORTANT TO LIVE NOT ONLY FOR OURSELVES!

No comments: